Eight Stakes Highlight Turfway Park Winter/Spring Meet
FLORENCE, Ky. (Dec. 28, 2015) – Turfway Park’s 48th winter/spring Thoroughbred race meet opens Jan. 1, with eight stakes races highlighting the 46-day schedule. The meet runs through April 3.
The Rushaway Stakes returns to the winter/spring schedule after a two-year hiatus, joining the Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati Spiral Stakes (G3) and the Bourbonette Oaks (G3) on the Northern Kentucky track’s premier day of racing, set for April 2.
The April 2 date puts the Spiral Stakes five weeks out from the Kentucky Derby (G1) this year instead of the usual six weeks. The Spiral Stakes is a designated qualifying race for the Derby; the Bourbonette Oaks is a designated qualifier for the Kentucky Oaks (G1). The complete stakes schedule:
- $50,000 Wintergreen Stakes, one mile for older fillies and mares, Jan. 2
- $50,000 Forego Stakes, 6.5 furlongs for four year olds and up, Jan. 16
- $50,000 WEBN Stakes, 6.5 furlongs for three year olds, Jan. 30. The WEBN, back to its original sponsor after a few years as the 96Rock Stakes, is the first of two local preps for the Spiral Stakes.
- $50,000 Cincinnati Trophy Stakes, 6.5 furlongs for three-year-old fillies, Feb. 13. The Cincinnati Trophy is a local prep for the Bourbonette Oaks.
- $100,000 John Battaglia Memorial Stakes (listed), the final local prep for the Spiral Stakes, 1-1/16 miles for three year olds, Feb. 27.
- $100,000 Rushaway Stakes, 1-1/16 miles for three year olds, April 2.
- $100,000 Bourbonette Oaks (G3), one mile for three-year-old fillies, April 2.
- $550,000 Horseshoe Casino Cincinnati Spiral Stakes (G3), 1-1/8 miles for three year olds, April 2.
Turfway’s winter/spring schedule picks up where the December holiday meet leaves off. As in December, live racing continues in January on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights at 6:15 pm ET and Sunday afternoons at 2:30 pm ET. Beginning in February through the end of the meet, live racing runs Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at the same times, with the exception of afternoon racing on Spiral Stakes day. The track is closed Easter Sunday, March 27.
As granted by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, track management retains the option to run Thursdays in February and March.
The winter/spring meet continues Turfway’s popular Dollar Nights on Fridays and Saturdays, featuring dollar draft beer and hot dogs and live local bands, again with the exception of April 2.
Admission is free every day except April 2. Parking is free every day.